Monday, August 29, 2005

a poem from a guest poet, D.M. Swendsen. it is , i feel, a beautiful and true piece, that captures a mother's love for her child.


I Thought I Knew


I thought I knew joy
but then I met you
when you scrunch up your tiny face
and smile at me
when you offer me a wet Cheerio
and then eat it yourself
when you laugh at a game of Peek - A - Boo
then I know joy

I thought I knew sadness
but then I met you
when you wake up crying
your face swollen and wet from tears
and I can't make the nightmares go away
when you hurt
I hurt
then I know sadness

I thought I knew anger
but then I met you
when you wake up scared
because someone lit an M-80
when I hear stories about abuse and neglect
i know I would slaughter thousands
to protect you
then, I know anger

I thought I knew love
but then I met you
when I rock you in my arms
and feel your heat
and hear your breath
when you smile & run to me
when I care for you
comfort you
hold you
play with you
when I am with you
I know love.

1 comment:

Sherry Pasquarello said...

this is about an adopted child. she is an amazing and longed for gift. i know her well.when i read this poem i knew it's truth and included it here. i do post guests now and then.