Sunday, November 13, 2005

another note about my blog here. it is poetry, but it is more. it's whatever i choose to post. it is pretty much me.
most of the blogs that i read(except for the lit. ones) have a political flavor to them. i leave comments on the ones i like the best. i care, i've been a political junkie since my teens, not surprising since i graduated in 1969 at 17. i care about our country. i care about the world and i care about people. do i know statistics backwards and forwards? nope, besides as someone once wrote, there are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics! i am not a fool tho and i have my opinions and they are mine and valid, important to me. i vote.
i cross party lines and tho i enjoy a good debate, i intensely dislike the sort of sound bite, clever quip, t.v. wrestling flavor to our political system of late.
i've been around a long time, pgh is really sort of a small town type of a city and i use my real name, unlike others that blog. i have to, as my blog contains my works. i do resent tho, being told that some of the examples i've cited about wars and veterans and family and friends experiences in wars and hospitals are made up or embellished , horror stories. that pissed me off big time. i use my name, as i wrote and i've spent my life back and forth to v.a. hospitals because of my father. no one needs embellish the hell of war, some tho, see a desperate need to play those horrors down it seems. just my rant. i resent being labeled a liar only because my views , my life experiences make some that favor war uncomfortable. s and yes, i support our troops!!!

4 comments:

Berko Wills said...

Yes well, some people are so partisan that they don't bother to construct any kind of decent argument for their position. Rather, they attack by denigrating the other person's position ("must be making it up") or their person.

It's cowardly and stupid and only serves to convince me that I may have the upperhand. Maybe when there's a competition to see who can produce the most fallacies or the best insults, they'll have their day in the sun ('Hi y'all hope Bush is still doin' it for ya')

Sherry Pasquarello said...

hi, thanks, it's nice to have someone understand.
politics to me, well, it's too important with such far reaching effects that it just can't become a sport or entertainment. i keep thinking of "bread and circuses" or the 50's more recently and mccarthy.there is still time for intellegent, and respectful debate if we insist on it and take the high road. i know there are good people on both sides of any issue that can agree if not shouted down or eclipsed by the "circus" THEY provide us with so to speak.

Amos_thePokerCat said...

The Damn Lies quote is sort of Twain, and sort of Disraeli.

Sherry Pasquarello said...

thanks amos, i've never known for sure who to credit. it is true tho, with spin or selecting you could cite statistics to prove the earth is flat!
i just got po'd at being told i was lying. my dad's got a VA appt. tomorrow and another fri. he was technically a non combat injury, but he has had 28 major surgeries and the docs have said they used what they learned experimenting on him to treat the wounded in vietnam. he's glad something good came of it. but as i wrote i have spent my life back and forth at times to the va's. i have seen those men as i have grown. it sticks with me.i have an uncle that was a navagator in a bomber during world war two, he came back a changed man and took his family and just up and left forever. my friend steve is a vietnam vet. he volunteers there all the time for many years. i help him collect books for there sometimes. i'm old enought to have lived enough to know a lot of things. thanks for the author of the quote. be well.