Wednesday, December 21, 2005

WHAT MY PEOPLE HAVE ENDURED

( FORWARD AND BACKWARD )

BY CHARLIE TEE

What my people have endured every man should put asunder

What my people have endured makes God cry out with bold thunder

The things we've done for dignity, should bring tears often to you
and me

When all I've asked was to be seen as a man, to share my gifts
throughout the land

Instead you see me as a threat, like an invisible force which makes you
sweat

You can look at me and call me nigger, but truth is I'm not
confuse I know this river

I've helped guide your hand with the surgeon's knife,

I've built you things that add quality to your life

I've loved your children as if they were mine

I've shaped your dreams with traces from mine

Iive given you hope, but you won't see mine

Show me the justice, isn't it time

It's time you see me more than some ape

It's time you realize that your God who is my God too gave me
shape

I'm not your enemy see here i stand, I'm holding my heart out
in my hands

Yes I may be the darker brother, but didn't my God who is your
God too say

to love one another

What my people have endured yes it's an amazing feat

But don't look at that just stand with me because only together
can we be complete


reading downward dedicated to JAMES M. TUITT

reading upward dedicated to MOS DEF




2 comments:

Jonathan Barnes said...

You sound a little like a Sister, Sherry. I like the syncopation.
Nice poem.

Sherry Pasquarello said...

hi, well charlie has a lot of soul, not cause he's black but cause he's a special person. hope you have a happy christmas!